I have recently Grown to LOVE the song Turning Tables by Adele. I think the reason for this possibly might have something to do with me listening to it a zillion times (itunes says only 58 in the last month, but I think they lie), but I think, honestly there is something more. I created my own arrangement for the piece, which I actually love...and it's the first time I've arranged something for a purpose that wasn't educational...If I wasn't so darn slow at it, I would do it more often. The reason I put together an arrangement, was because a student of mine asked if I would help her with the song, and all the arrangements I found...were insufficient to what the song really needs.
I can't say how rewarding it is to work with students. To see them progress. It makes me want to progress, and refine my own skills as a teacher. I love the moments when the light goes on in their eyes, I love to hear the progression in their voice. Nothing is more flattering a compliment than another person telling my how much my student has improved.
While I feel strongly that being a teacher is stressful on multiples levels...and sometimes I complain about experiences I have - being difficult because I am so inexperienced, I am so grateful that I don't feel like I'm on a turn table anymore. I am certain that teaching was the right thing for me to do...I have doubted myself along this road I have chosen to take, and I have doubted that I would ever be able to live up to the promptings that I have had to become such. I still doubt my skills as a teacher...on almost a daily basis, but that doubt provides me with the motivation to become better - to work harder so that I can truly change lives.
In High School, I thought it was naive of me to have the desire to change lives. As I have been guided to this path I have realized that by being a teacher I have a deep influence upon my students - whether for good or ill, and I have decided that I never want to be the kind of teacher who teaches this job like a job - because then you lose sight of what is truly important. These are the lives of young people, and while they have their agency to chose whatever they will, I always want to be the kind of teacher that will provide a positive and impactful learning environment.
I wrote in one of my papers in college that I want to be the kind of teacher that is not remembered, and that is true. I didn't understand at the time (I really say this a lot) that I do truly feel like I don't care if my students remember my name, but I do want them to remember the things they learned from being in my classroom - I want them to learn to love life and to appreciate music and each other. I think that overall that is my main objective as a teacher...Possibly the heading of my lesson plans for the rest of my life.
Teaching is SO HARD. But there isn't a day that goes by where I do not miss my classroom!
ReplyDelete