Friday, January 13, 2012

Resolutions. Absolutions.

New Year's Eve...I had a brilliant plan that I was going to be a watertarian and give up soda for the whole year. It is something I've been wanting to do for some time, but I lack motivation to do such things on my own. So I roped 2.5 of my siblings (Mindy, Elena, and Sean) into joining me in the 2012 Soda purge. I feel I have seen this last year first had the effects of soda on the body, not that soda was the only cause, but I feel it might be a major factor. Not only does soda cause bone deterioration, but it corrodes the enamel on your teeth, and increases dehydration. I am hoping that by the end of this year, I'll have made it such a habit that I can give it up.

I talked with my sister about the addictive qualities of soda, and she said in moderation she feels it is fine. My feelings on the matter are much the same as my feelings on other addictive substances. If you know you are addicted to alcohol per say, then you wouldn't try to drink it in moderation, because you know that you have that addictive tendency...so you would avoid the substance completely...well...I think that is the stage soda and I have come to. I have had bouts in my past where I had soda on a daily basis, and I feel that many of my dental problems are a result. So...since I have a blog...and can log my progress...I will let you know how the experiment goes:

Day 13/365 - No Soda - It's been 14 days. Two weeks down... The withdraws are starting to die down as I feel the carbonation being cleansed from my system. So far...there are no other side effects. There has been only one incident to date...er...two...ish...that I can remember being tempted by the..er...soda cravings. Mostly it's reversing habit. It's actually very interesting, because my sugar cravings have lessened...and while I desire for chocolate, I wonder if that too is more mental than physical. It is yet to be determined whether that is connected to soda or not. I do have more energy when I don't drink soda...that is one for sure thing.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad one of us is giving it up...it takes the pressure off me. :)

    ReplyDelete